ASHRAE launches Building Energy Quotient Portal ‘As Designed’ rating
April 26, 2018 — ASHRAE recently launched the As Designed rating of its Building Energy Quotient (Building EQ) Portal, which provides an automated approach to receive a Building EQ performance score.
By Ellen Cools
Both the In Operation and As Designed ratings are now available in the Building EQ Portal.
The As Designed rating compares potential energy use based on the building’s physical characteristics rating systems with standardized energy use simulation and can identify whether a building is achieving its design potential when compared to the actual energy performance measured with the In Operation rating.
The As Designed rating:
• Uses standardized energy use simulation of the candidate’s building
• Is based on a building’s physical characteristics and systems
• Is independent of occupancy and operating variables
• Compares potential energy performance between buildings with different operational and occupancy profiles
• Models only the candidate building for consistency between the two ratings
• Is applicable to new and existing buildings
“We are excited to launch the As Designed rating as a complimentary tool for easily benchmarking energy performance, which can stimulate the adoption of high performance building techniques to achieve full design potential,” said Hugh Crowther, Building EQ committee chair. “The Building EQ program offers a unified system of both asset and operational ratings, helping building owners make informed decisions on how to improve energy performance, reduce cost and effectively manage their building portfolio.”