ASHRAE names first female president
ASHRAE installed new officers and directors at its 2010 Annual Meeting in Albuquerque, New Mexico, including new president Lynn G. Bellenger, P.E., Pathfinder Engineers & Architects—the first female president in the Society’s 116-year history. Bellenger is ASHRAE certified as a Building Energy Modeling Professional and a High Performance Building Design Professional.
Bellenger’s presidential theme, “Modeling a Sustainable World,” notes that in energy simulation, daylight analysis, CFD and BIM software, we have powerful modeling tools that enable us to create and refine our vision of a building—its appearance, systems, operation and performance. Used effectively in an integrated design process for new buildings and in analyzing retrofit opportunities in existing buildings, ASHRAE says those resources will help model a sustainable world.
“Our biggest challenge is implementing integrated design in daily practice,” said Bellenger. “The traditional approach, where the architect designs the building shape, orientation and envelope and then transmits the drawings to the mechanical and electrical engineers for their design, is a silo approach that misses the rich opportunities for optimizing building performance through a collaborative approach from the beginning. It is going to require a real cultural shift in our industry to transform the design process, and it’s a shift that has to occur if we are going to reach our goal of net-zero-energy buildings.”
Other officers installed for a one-year term include:
· President-Elect Ronald Jarnagin, a staff scientist for Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
· Treasurer Thomas Watson, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, a chief engineer for McQuay International
· Vice President William Bahnfleth, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, a professor for The Pennsylvania State University
· Vice President Sheila J. Hayter, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, a senior engineer for National Renewable Energy Laboratory
· Vice President Ross D. Montgomery, P.E., ASHRAE-Certified Building Energy Modeling Professional and Commissioning Process Management Professional, an owner of Quality Systems and Technology, Inc., Palmetto
· And Vice President T. David Underwood, P.Eng., Fellow ASHRAE, ASHRAE-Certified Commissioning Process Management Professional Life Member, a retired president of Isotherm Engineering, Ltd
For more information, go to www.ashrae.org.