Energy Manager

Industrial News
Learn how IBM and Lincoln Electric save in their plants

October 3, 2014 - Three North American industrial plants that recently deployed energy management systems (EnMS)—IBM, Lincoln Electric and Harbec—are highlighted in new case studies from the Global Superior Energy Performance (GSEP) Energy Management Working Group (EMWG).

October 3, 2014  By  Anthony Capkun

These latest entries explain how the plants deployed ISO-compliant systems to manage their energy more efficiently while boosting competitiveness.

Canadian case studies
IBM implemented an EnMS at its manufacturing facility in Bromont, Que., which helped it to reduce energy consumption by 9.2% and save $550,000 CAD in 2013. The savings came from 36 energy efficiency projects implemented as part of the EnMS. Tool modifications generated about 27% of the savings, while HVAC and exhaust reduction projects generated the other 73%. Equipment throughout the plant is now monitored using dashboards that show real-time energy use.

With the support of NRCan, IBM Bromont was certified for conformance with CAN/CSA ISO 50001 in 2013. NRCan’s Canadian Industry Program for Energy Conservation provided plant staff with various energy conservation tools and services that assisted with EnMS development and certification. (DOWNLOAD case study below)

Lincoln Electric became CAN/CSA ISO 50001 certified after implementing an EnMS at its facility in Toronto, Ont., facility, which manufactures steel welding wire and industrial diesel-driven DC generator welding machines. With the help of NRCan, Lincoln Electric developed an EnMS that reduced the facility’s energy consumption by 22% in 2013.

Plant management was initially interested in an EnMS as a means to maintain competitiveness and reduce risks associated with volatile energy prices. The company learned that its EnMS implementation owes much to its corporate culture that actively encourages the identification of energy improvements and conservation measures. The plant expects its EnMS to lead to continuous improvement in overall plant energy consumption. (DOWNLOAD case study below)

An initiative of the Clean Energy Ministerial, GSEP publishes the series in an effort to improve energy efficiency and mitigate carbon emissions around the globe. Canada is among 11 countries participating in GSEP’s Energy Management Working Group (EMWG).

Print this page


Stories continue below