Minto opens doors on Ontario’s first NZE town homes
September 27, 2016 - Minto Communities Canada has introduced the first Net Zero Energy (NZE) multi-family residential complex in Ontario—a block of four “Executive Townhomes” in its Kanata community Arcadia, a suburb of Ottawa, Ont.
By Renée Francoeur
“This project addresses affordability in NZE homes, bringing competitively priced NZE homes to the market,” said Susan Murphy, vice-president of land development at Minto Communities Canada. “What was once only available in one-off, high performance custom homes is now more accessible to the average consumer.”
Built as part of a Canada-wide Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) program, these four homes are projected to deliver a 65% reduction in total home energy consumption, Minto claims. These buildings are also close cousins of the Killarney Net Zero Show Home at Arcadia, the company notes, which was a finalist for the 2016 Award of Distinction for the “most outstanding production built home” by the Ontario Home Builders’ Association.
The NZE homes, designed to generate as much energy as a family would consume over a year, start at $352,900 and include many standard features like 9-ft ceilings, open concept kitchens with islands, ample closet space, and some with mud rooms and laundry rooms on the second floor.
Energy-efficient features include:
• Owens Corning CodeBord air barrier system that will help retain warmth in colder seasons and protect against drafts,
• Two extra inches of exterior insulation,
• Triple pane high-performance windows,
• Heat pump technology used for space and water heating,
• Solar (PV) panels for electricity generation,
• LED lighting,
• A drain water heat recovery system,
• High-efficiency water fixtures, and
• An advanced energy monitoring system to keep homebuyers informed on their energy consumption.
“These are the first townhouses in Canada to be labelled under the Canadian Home Builders’ Association’s (CHBA) Net Zero Home Program,” commented Kevin Lee, CHBA CEO. “They are a great example of Canadian homebuilders delivering quality and value for families across the country.”
PLUS, don’t miss the photos and video from our personal tour inside a Guelph, Ont. NZE home last year.
Photos courtesy Minto.