Energy Manager

Emissions Reduction Energy Efficiency HVAC & Plumbing Institutional Net Zero News
Another $10 million on its way to Susan Fennell for building retrofits

September 8, 2023  By  Anthony Capkun

September 8, 2023 – The Susan Fennell Sportsplex in Brampton, Ont., is receiving $10 million for retrofits through the Green Municipal Fund’s (GMF) Community Buildings Retrofit (CBR) initiative.

(Last year, we reported the facility is receiving $15.7 million for energy efficiency retrofits via the Green and Inclusive Community Buildings program.)

The retrofits are expected to transform the nearly 30-year-old multi-purpose structure into a “state-of-the-art zero-carbon facility”. The project will electrify the facility’s gas-powered equipment—including boilers and ice resurfacers—install a geothermal system, as well as upgrade the ice rink refrigeration plants, air-handling units, heat pumps, lighting, and other systems.

Through a combination of energy efficiency upgrades, renewable energy measures and carbon offers, the city aims both to reduce the facility’s carbon footprint and create a model for other recreational facilities.


The upgrades are expected to reduce operating costs and carbon emissions by 91% annually (with the remaining 9% achieved through carbon offsets).

“The upgrades to Susan Fennell Sportsplex are another step toward meeting our net-zero goals while ensuring this facility is prepared to serve Bramptonians for generations to come,” said Patrick Brown, Mayor, City of Brampton.

The Green Municipal Fund is administered by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, through an endowment by the Government of Canada.

The CBR initiative is part of a $950-million federal investment in FCM’s Green Municipal Fund that is designed to “scale-up energy efficiency and lower emissions across Canada”.

Print this page


Stories continue below