ASHRAE tackles “responsible decarbonization strategies for the built environment”
April 5, 2021 By Anthony Capkun
April 5, 2021 – ASHRAE recently formed a task force to address climate change through “responsible decarbonization strategies for the built environment”.
“The challenges of decarbonization are complex, but this task force is positioned to offer actionable technical guidance to improve how buildings are built and operated,” said ASHRAE president Charles E. Gulledge III.
The Task Force for Building Decarbonization (TFBD) is charged with developing technical resources and providing leadership and guidance in mitigating the negative carbon impact of buildings on the environment and the inhabitants of our planet.
TFBD’s specific responsibilities include:
• Providing recommendations and practices for industry stakeholders in decarbonization of the built environment.
• Defining the objectives of this holistic initiative including, but not limited to:
– developing a framework for characterizing the issues related to decarbonization.
– identifying existing portfolio of ASHRAE technical resources on issues relating to decarbonization, and package them in a way useful to policymakers and stakeholders.
– identifying and quantifying knowledge gaps for policymakers and stakeholders who are tackling building decarbonization, and developing resources to address these gaps.
• Formulating a value proposition statement as to why ASHRAE is embarking on this journey.
• Identifying the global audience related to this initiative.
• Establishing guiding principles that frame this journey.
• Objectively framing the issues associated with this initiative.
As work progresses within the task force, ASHRAE says additional information and resources will be shared.
Print this page