BOMA introduces Smart Buildings Pilot Project
By Anthony Capkun
July 5, 2022 – The Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA) of Canada launched the BOMA BEST Smart Buildings Certification Program’s Pilot Project.
“Nothing exists quite like this exciting new program which is poised to organize and standardize the very notion of a smart building and, thereby, enable us to measure how our buildings are performing, and how they can perform in the future,” said Thano Lambrinos, chair of the BOMA BEST Smart Buildings Advisory Council.
The certification sets a global standard for how smart buildings are measured, while also providing users with a roadmap to drive further asset enhancement and investment, says BOMA Canada.
The program will start off with over a dozen buildings across North America as pilot certification sites. BOMA BEST Smart Buildings is “positioned to drive tenant experience, sustainability and the bottom line”, and does so by considering six key indicators:
1. Artificial intelligence
2. Cyber and physical security
3. Data management
5. Health and well-being
“We are deeply proud to launch BOMA BEST Smart Buildings into pilot,” said Benjamin Shinewald, president & CEO, BOMA Canada. “Like everything we do, this program really is by the industry, for the industry, and the fact that we have some of the biggest commercial real estate companies in the world lining up to support it speaks volumes about the value we expect to deliver to our membership.”
BOMA Canada highlighted industry support for the program from:
• Avison Young – 390 Bay Street, Toronto
• BentallGreenOak – Sun Life Financial Centre, Ottawa
• Dream – 80 Richmond Street West, Toronto
• Epic Investment Services – TBA
• GWL Realty Advisors – The Livmore, Toronto
• Ivanhoé Cambridge – Place Ville Marie, Montreal
• Morguard – Penn West Plaza, Calgary
• QuadReal Property Group – 745 Thurlow, Vancouver
• Triovest – Gateway Centre, Mississauga, Ont.
• USAA Real Estate – 9830 Colonnade Blvd., San Antonio, Texas