N.B. Premier’s Awards for Energy Efficiency 2014 winners named
(Updated September 5, 2014, with PHOTOS) September 3, 2014 - The annual New Brunswick Premier’s Awards for Energy Efficiency has announced its 2014 winners, which recognizes innovation and leadership in energy efficiency in the province.
By Alyssa Dalton
This year, Efficiency NB introduced a new category celebrating the achievements of young New Brunswickers. The Energy Efficiency Champion Youth Award recognizes a youth, group of youths or a school class that demonstrates an outstanding commitment to energy efficiency in school, in the community or at home. This year’s recipients are Toni Mullin, Rebecca Lemieux and Nora Bertin, students at Bathurst High School.
“I am extremely proud of all of this year’s award winners and their efforts to reduce energy use in New Brunswick,” said premier David Alward. “The recipients of the new youth award remind us that we all can play a small part in promoting energy conservation and ensuring the future health of our province for generations to come.”
Minister responsible for Efficiency NB, Danny Soucy, helped Alward present the awards.
“Since the agency was created in late 2005, Efficiency NB has helped make more than 30,000 New Brunswick homes more energy efficient. The reduction in energy use by those households has reduced greenhouse gas emissions by a significant amount equivalent to taking 33,333 cars of the road for a year,” he said.
Outstanding Energy Efficiency Project Awards were presented to the best performers in Efficiency NB’s programs:
• Commercial retrofit: Ross Ventures Ltd, Fredericton
• Commercial new construction: Le Foyer Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes, Bathurst
• Residential retrofit: Dwayne Doucette, St. Andrews
• Residential new construction: Stephen Carson, Moncton
• Residential multi-unit retrofit: Carole Belliveau, Sackville
• Residential new multi-unit: Sira Enterprises, Moncton
A public call was issued for nominations, and Energy Efficiency Champion Awards were presented in five categories:
• Commercial: Champlain Place, Dieppe
• Industrial: Clow Canada, Saint John
• Residential: EnerGreen Builders Co-operative, Sackville
• Residential: Tim Naugler, Southern Exposure Construction, Fredericton
• Individual: Ralph Mayfield, Saint John
• Youth: Toni Mullin, Rebecca Lemieux and Nora Bertin, Bathurst
The Community Award for Outstanding Energy Efficiency Achievement was presented to the Kennebecasis Public Library and the Town of Grand Bay-Westfield.
Photos courtesy Efficiency NB.